Philippines – On November 8, 2016 a historic event happen in the country after the most awaited decision of the Philippines highest court finally released a decision that allows former President Ferdinand E. Marcos to be buried at the Libingan ng Mga Bayani (LNMB).
Yesterday around 1:00 – 1:30 pm, several rumors or speculations spread that majority of Supreme Court Justices favored the Marcos burial in a 9-5 votes? Despite the decision is scheduled to be release around 2:00 pm. The rumors was later confirmed that allows Marcos Burial at Heroes cemetery.
It is remembered that the Supreme Court issued a “Status Quo” order on Marcos Burial twice already until all issues on the court is properly resolve. There are several petitions filed in stopping the legality of Marcos burial.
According to news, 9 Justices agree to Marcos Burial, 5 Justices did not agree and 1 Justices abstained.
Here are the five main reasons of Supreme Court dismissal of petitions over Marcos burial:
1. There was no grave abuse of discretion on the part of President Rodrigo Duterte in ordering the burial of Marcos at LNMB because it was done in the exercise of his mandate. There is also no law that prohibits the burial of Marcos' remains at the LNMB
2. President Duterte has the power to reserve for public use and for specific public purposes, any of the lands under public domain.
3. Marcos' remains, under regulations of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, can be interred at LNMB because he was a former president, commander-in-chief, soldier, medal of valor awardee, and legislator.
4. The Supreme Court disagreed Marcos was "dishonorably discharged," saying the disqualification only pertains to the military
5. Marcos cannot be disqualified from burial at LNMB because he was not convicted of crimes involving moral turpitude.
Pro-Marcos, celebrates the decision of the SC court, after 27 years of waiting finally they beloved president will be laid and buried at LNMB. Marcos family is very thankful to the SC court especially to President Rodrigo Duterte for allowing their beloved former President Marcos to be buried at Heroes Cemetery.
President Marcos died on September 28, 1989 in Hawaii, his remains stay in Hawaii after former and late President Aquino refused to allow Marcos' body to be brought back to the Philippines. Then after 4 years during the term of President Fidel Ramos, Marcos body was allowed to be brought back to the Philippines but denied of a Heroes Burial at LNMB. Since then Marcos remains can be seen in a museum situated in Batac, Ilocos Norte.
source: cnn philippines